Rep. Fred Wood, R-Burley, reportedly wasn't injured, but his wife, Amy, suffered second-degree burns when the gun room at the couple's Burley home exploded last night. The Associated Press reports that the couple was eating dinner when the explosion happened; she was on the back patio, which is directly over a room they had converted into a gun safe, when the blast happened, causing the patio to collapse. The Times-News reported that Amy Wood was taken by air ambulance to the University of Utah’s Burn and Trauma Center, where she was listed in good condition today. You can read the Times-News' full report here, in which Burley Fire Chief Keith Martin says the Woods were eating dinner when “they heard a sound like a 747 coming from the basement.”
KTVB-TV reported that a Burley fire official said the explosion did not appear to be suspicious, and advises people to keep their cleaning supplies away from their guns and ammunition; read their report here.
Wood is a physician and third-term lawmaker who is a former chairman of the Idaho Fish & Game Commission and an Air Force veteran.
Betsy Z. Russell covers Idaho news from The Spokesman-Review's bureau in Boise.
P.O. Box 2160, Spokane, WA 99210
Main switchboard: (509) 459-5000 • (800) 338-8801
Newsroom: (509) 459-5400 • (800) 789-0029
Customer service: (800) 338-8801