The Idaho Transportation Department is taking public comments through Oct 24 on new rules allowing extra-heavy trucks on additional routes in Idaho, and the department has set a series of public meetings around the state, starting in Pocatello on Oct. 7 and running through a Boise meeting Oct. 17. Click below for ITD's full announcement. The Idaho Legislature this year passed new laws making permanent a 10-year pilot project allowing trucks up to 129,000 pounds on 35 specific southern Idaho routes, plus another law allowing additional heavy-truck routes to be designated statewide.
Public comment is solicited on proposed administrative rules governing 129,000-pound truck routes on the state highway system, the Idaho Transportation Department announced.
The rules are necessary to implement three bills from the 2013 Legislature.
The legislation follows a pilot project that began in 1998 and recently ended. The project allowed trucks and their cargo weighing a total of 129,000 pounds to use 35 test routes in Idaho.
Senate Bill 1064 made the test routes permanent on July 1 this year.
Senate Bill 1117 allows additional routes to be designated by the Idaho Transportation Department and by local highway agencies. House Bill 322 clarifies the intent of the legislation.
Comment will be taken until Thursday, Oct. 24 at 5 p.m. on four administrative rules related to 129,000-pound trucks. Among the rules is Administrative Rule 39.03.22-1302, which implements the provisions of SB1117 and outlines the process for considering additional routes for vehicles weighing up to 129,000 pounds.
Administrative rules ensure a state agency’s procedures are consistent with legislation.
The administrative rules are used to implement changes to statutes and govern areas such as the type of permit required.
Public meetings on ITD’s proposed rules are being held at:
- The Red Lion Hotel, 1555 Pocatello Creek Road, Pocatello, Monday, Oct. 7, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Shilo Inn Suites, 780 Lindsay Boulevard, Idaho Falls, Monday, Oct. 7, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Best Western Plus Coeur d’Alene Inn, 506 W. Appleway Avenue, Coeur d'Alene, Wednesday, Oct. 9, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Red Lion Hotel, 621 21st Street, Lewiston, Wednesday, Oct. 9, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Best Western Plus Twin Falls Hotel, 1377 Blue Lakes Boulevard, Twin Falls, Wednesday, Oct. 16, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Red Lion Hotel, 1800 Fairview Avenue, Boise, Thursday, Oct. 17, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Transportation department staff will be available to answer questions, and will give brief informational presentations at 4 p.m., 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. Verbal or written testimony can be given any time between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Comments or questions on the rules also can be e-mailed to email@example.com or mailed to: Adam Rush, Idaho Transportation Department, Office of Communications, P.O. Box 7129, Boise, ID 83707-1129.
Additional information is available at: itd.idaho.gov.