Arrow-right Camera

Eye On Boise

More than 4,000 uncashed state tax refund checks about to expire

More than 4,000 uncashed state tax refund checks are about to expire on June 27, the state Tax Commission warns, and it's urging the taxpayers involved get on it. After the expiration date, the refunds - which total more than $1 million - will become unclaimed property; at that point, the owners would have to file a claims request through the state Treasurer's Office to get the money.

The checks in question were issued from July 2012 to June of 2013. The Tax Commission says it's sent letters out to the taxpayers who got the checks; some will need to be reissued if they're more than a year old. Those who've lost their checks can request a replacement. Click below for the commission's full announcement.

June 4, 2014                                                     





More than $1 million in uncashed tax refund checks will soon expire


BOISE, IDAHO — June 4, 2014 — The Idaho State Tax Commission estimates more than 4,000 uncashed state tax refund checks worth more than $1 million will expire later this month.

 The Tax Commission is urging taxpayers who haven’t cashed refund checks issued to them from July 2012 through June 2013, to do so by June 27. After that date, the money becomes unclaimed property, and owners must file a claim request for the funds through the Idaho State Treasurer’s Office.

 The Tax Commission has sent letters to taxpayers whose checks are soon to expire.

·        If they don’t have the check (it’s lost or destroyed), they’ll need to complete an affidavit (sent with the letter) to get a reissued check. The affidavit must be signed by all parties listed on the check, and it must be notarized. The Tax Commission must receive the completed affidavit by June 27.

 ·        If they have the check, but it’s one year or more past the check issue date, they’ll need to return it to the Tax Commission to get a reissued check. The Tax Commission must receive the returned check by June 27.

 ·        If they have the check and it was issued less than one year ago, they should cash it immediately. 

 For more information about uncashed tax refund checks, please call the Tax Commission at 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll free at (800) 972-7660.




You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus
« Back to Eye On Boise
Betsy Z. Russell
Betsy Z. Russell joined The Spokesman-Review in 1991. She currently is a reporter in the Boise Bureau covering Idaho state government and politics, and other news from Idaho's state capital.

Follow Betsy online: