Posts tagged: snow
• Spokane firefighters were called to North Pittsburg Street and 1700 E. Cleveland just before 11 a.m. on reports of a collapsed roof. Scanner traffic indicates nobody was in the building.
UPDATE: Firefighters used heat-sensing instruments at Interior Solutions in the 2800 block of North Pittsburg Street to conclude nobody was inside. Officials initially thought a worker might be inside.
• Firefighters at 10:12 a.m. went to a roof collapse at Buck’s Tire and Automotive at 918 W. Mallon Ave. where a worker was reported to have fallen.
Officials at the scene said the man fell or jumped off the roof of the showroom and office building before it gave way. An adjacent warehouse was evacuated as a precaution.
• Fire crews were responding at about 10:30 a.m. to a report of a collapsed residential roof in the 3100 block of West Francis.
• Earlier, seven Spokane fire trucks were called to a commercial building at 7001 N. Division just after 8 a.m. today where the entire roof collapsed and raised the threat of a gas leak. Businesses housed in the strip mall were Futon Visions, Added Touch Framing and Donuts to Go, according to Assistant Chief Brian Schaeffer. Division southbound from Cozza to Francis avenues was closed. Firefighters expected to remain on the scene through the morning.
• Firefighters were also called to Spokane Hardware Supply Inc., 2001 E. Trent Ave., on a partially collapsed roof. No injuries were reported.
• The risk of roof collapse has caused Costco on North Division to close for a half-day today and hire a contractor to shovel its roof, said Skyler Carlile, the contractor with Alliance Excavation.
Carlile said he needed as many workers as he could get at $15 an hour to help in snow removal, and asked potential workers to call him at (509) 793-4212.