Good evening, Netizens...
Governor Christine Gregoire, despite her campaign promise of no new taxes has broken her promise to the voters, yet again, in exchange for a way to reduce her blithering budget shortfall. I remember her statement during the run-up to the election when she stated plainly, no new taxes. At the very least, she has broken a campaign promise.
Her latest proposal states in part that the State of Washington wants to:
• extend the sales tax to candy and gum;
• place an excise tax of 1 cent per ounce on bottled water;
• place an excise tax on soda that amounts to a nickel for a 12 ounce can;
• increase the hazardous substance tax from 0.7 percent to 2 percent, which sources in the oil industry said could raise the price of gasoline by about 5 cents per gallon;
• eliminate business and occupation tax exemptions for sales of gold bullion and syrup used in carbonated beverages, and require corporate directors to pay taxes on the fees they receive for their services.
Wait a minute! I thought the voters passed a referendum stated any new/increased taxes had to have a 2/3 majority in both houses of the state legislature. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference whether Governor Gregoire or a faceless member of the State Legislature attempts to foist these new taxes on the taxpayers, if both Houses of the State Legislature haven't approved these new taxes by a 2/3 majority, it is illegal, is it not?
I didn't see it on the list, I heard it on NPR this afternoon that she also is going to add additional taxes on each pack of cigarettes sold in the state. Poor Governor Gregoire. She cannot remember her promises to the voters made during the election and she cannot recall the state's laws regarding new taxes.
Vote her out of office!