Arrow-right Camera

Community Comment

Sat., July 17, 2010, 1:31 p.m.

Springdale’s only gas station burns to the ground…

KHQ-TV screen grab
KHQ-TV screen grab

Good afternoon, Netizens...

On hot summer afternoons, you could always find a quiet respite from an otherwise hectic day, perhaps even a few scattered fragments of history itself, at Bernie Jacobs, even if you didn't have a farm implement, vehicle or other piece of equipment that was in need of repair. Even on the hottest summer day, somehow the cool cluttered corners of the only gas station in Springdale could become a sanctuary where you could sit and gossip, while sipping a cold pop from the ancient Coke machine in the corner. It was a strange place, perhaps, to those who could not or would not understand it. However, for a place in history it has simply been a calm place from which to watch Springdale.

Bernie Jacobs gas station in downtown Springdale, Washington for decades, is no more, a victim of an early-morning fire this morning which leveled the building, destroying the building, vehicles, equipment and tools inside. I spoke briefly with former Town Marshall Jerry Taylor shortly after the story broke on KHQ-TV this morning, clarifying what little information was broadcast about the fire.

The Springdale Grocery, which sits directly across Schaffer Avenue, the State Highway, from Bernie's, was not affected by the fire, although in the early stages of the fire which began at approximately 6:00 AM this morning, there were concerns regarding it and several house trailers adjacent to the fire.

Today was to have been the parade for the Springdale Rodeo, but it was canceled, given it was to have begun in front of the pile of ashes and burned-out equipment that is all that is left of Jacobs' service station. However, the rodeo continues on throughout the rest of the day under the hot July skies. It remains to be seen what will happen in the aftermath of the fire, nor has there been a cause declared for who or what started the fire, although several unnamed sources suggest it might have been caused by an electrical problem.


You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus
« Back to Community Comment

Spokesman-Review readers blog about news and issues in Spokane written by Dave Laird.