The Centers for Disease Control released today nine year's worth of suicide statistics, gathered from 1999 to 2008, for people ages 45–64
- The suicide death rate for persons aged 45–64 years increased overall in the nine years, from 13.2 to 17.6 per 100,000 population
- Throughout the period, the suicide rate was highest for white men -- 30.7 per 100,000 population.
- Second highest? Black men at 10.3 percent per 100,000 population.
- White women were next, 9.4 percent per 100,000 population.
- The rate for black women was dramatically lower than all other categories above. Only 1.6 per 100,000 population.
Any theories why suicide rates shake out this way?