It wasn’t all just talking turkey – or eating only turkey at the first Thanksgiving.
- The first Thanksgiving was a three-day harvest feast
- Governor William Bradford sent four men to hunt birds for the feast while the Wampanoag contributed five deer
- The only foods from the original feast that we eat are turkey, corn and stuffing
- President Lincoln made Thanksgiving “official”
- Today, 46 million turkeys are eaten at Thanksgiving
- Americans eat an average of 13.3 pounds of turkey each year
- The Macy’s parade started in 1924 with live animals, replaced with helium balloons three years later
What are your Thanksgiving traditions? What food do you eat? Who cooks? Anyone offer thanks? Anyone leave early to shop?