An old family friend, Jan Rotondo, died recently. Her funeral is Friday. She and her husband, Frank, ran the Town and Country Restaurant, a popular place in Spokane for decades.
Two years ago, when Frank died, I asked Jan for the recipe for the Town and Country potato, a potato flavor I've never found since. The restaurant's sour cream recipe was part of the magic.
She gave me the recipe, but it was the one for restaurant use, so the portions are huge. If anyone out there who remembers it and reduces it to family level, please let me know. I'd love to taste it again.
Godspeed Jan! Thanks for all the great food and memories.
The Town and Country Potato
- Left over whipped potatoes (amount unspecified)
- 4 to 5 dozen eggs
- 3 onions chopped fine
- 2 quarts of T&C blended sour cream
- 1 to 2 cups of bacon crumbles
- 1 to 2 cups garlic powder
- 1/2 cup white pepper
- 1/2 cup salt
The T&C sour cream
- 30 ounce can mayonnaise
- 3 quarts of sour cream
- 2 bunches green onions chopped
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 T horseradish
- 1/3 cup each of salt and MSG
- 1 tablespoon white pepper