A polar bear has died at a Stuttgart, Germany zoo from ingesting a purse – and a coat. Anton, a 25-year-old beloved polar bear, presented strange behavior and started spitting out pieces of fabric, alerting zookeepers that perhaps something was wrong. Heroic attempts to save the bear failed.
Most likely the items were dropped by a visitor; the loss is a reminder that even when living in controlled captivity, wild animals are subject to humans’ behavior.
Anton's demise is another reminder that we never know our time, place – or cause – of departing the planet.
(S-R archive photo)