Just talked to Alice Rankin, Ron's widow. She's doing as well as can be expected after losing the love of her life. She told me that Ron's heart was fine from the double bypass surgery. But he'd sprung a leak somewhere and bled to death internally. Otherwise, he had a few good years left in him. As far as funeral arrangements go ... the church service is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at the LDS church, 2:30 graveside at Forest Cemetery (with color guard and 21-gun salute from Spokane and "Amazing Grace" being played on the bagpipes) ... viewing is at English Funeral Home on Fourth from 4 to 7 p.m. today.
1. For the Best of the Northwest 'toon today, I have a twofer from The Argonaut staff: cartoonist Noah Kroese's take on empty campaign promises here and Opinion Editor Sean Olson's view of the same subject here.
2. Eric Devericks/Seattle Times has a priceless political 'toon today, too, here.
3. "As part of an 'October Plan' to talk to individuals who may be considered a threat to the upcoming elections, the FBI is interviewing local members of the Muslim community," according to The Daily Evergreen, here.
4. Three hundred gather at Anne Frank Memorial in Boise to show support for Muslims, according to The Idaho Statesman, here.
5. A federal judge has struck down the Clinton-era ban on snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks, calling it a "prejudged, political" move, according to the AP, here.
6. IMHO-NW: Kay McFadden/Seattle Times (TV lessons from debates), Joel Connelly/P-I (Energy alternatives), Bill Virgin (Too many statewide elected officials), Jamie Kelly/Missoulian (Mean-spirited Missoula), and Danny Westneat (Insecure on ferries).
7. They're at it again. At The Daily Evergreen, pro-Bush Christopher Del Beccaro and pro-Kerry Zack Hale argue for their candidates about guns and law & order here and here.