A toppled transmission tower is seen in January 2000, outside Bend, Ore. Chelsea Dawn Gerlach (pictured), 28, of Portland, was one of two people in Oregon arrested as part of a nine-year federal investigation targeting ecoterrorists. Gerlach was to appear in U.S. District Court in Portland Thursday on indictments alleging she was involved in the 80-foot Bonneville Power Administration transmission tower destruction, the 2001 arson that destroyed the University of Washington’s Center for Urban Horticulture, and a $12 million fire at a ski resort in Colorado here.
1. Free-lancer Milt Priggee/Oak Harbor, Wash., pays tribute to the late Richard Pryor here.
2. A registered sex offender apparently is responsible for the double-murder/suicide at a condo in Pullman, Wash., according to police reports, here.
3. North Idaho veterans have joined many of their peers in protesting a move by the U.S. Postal Service to decommission the “Purple Heart” stamp when first-class postage increases from 37 cents to 39 cents next month here.
4. John and Stacey HolleyPost Falls, Idaho, were horrified when they found out that their fallen soldier son’s remains were going to be handled by baggage carriers at the San Diego airport, according to Brian Walker/Coeur d’Alene Press, here.
5. Boise State football coach Dan Hawkins has emerged as the leading candidate to take over the UColorado program here.
6. IMHO-NW: D.F. Oliveria/Spokesman-Review (Caring adults best defense for kids), Dan Popkey/Idaho Statesman (Idaho highway program snafu), Seattle Times (Smoke-free casinos good for tribes, too), Jim Kershner, Spokesman-Review (These are “The Doors” — not), and Steve Kelley/Seattle Times (Gilbertson still on sidelines).
Washington Ceasefire Poll: 70% of 403 registered voters want background checks for gun-show buyers here.
*A 21-year-old Navy wife accused of fatally neglecting her 18-month-old daughter, then storing her body for weeks in a garbage bag, according to the Associated Press (free subscription required), here.
*Most elk, bison and trumpeter swans are unfazed by the presence of snowmobiles in Yellowstone National Park, a new study suggests, here.
*Columbian: Six confirmed cases of E. coli have been linked to drinking unpasteurized milk from an unlicensed dairy here.
*Cancer claims moderate Washington Repub Richard Hemstad/Olympia here.