Spokane County Auditor Vicky Dalton, right, passes the final certification of election document to Spokane County Commissioner Mark Richard for his signature earlier today. The Spokane County Canvassing board certified the recall of Spokane Mayor James West at 9:44a.m. here (Dan Pelle/The Spokesman-Review).
1. Six weeks after losing all five of their children in a car accident, Jeff and Carolyn Schrock celebrated the birth of a baby girl. Jolynn Marie Schrock was born on Wednesday afternoon here.
2. A plumbing problem in a Spokane woman’s basement led police to the discovery of a naked man who’d taken up residence there here.
3. A Springfield man was charged with setting fire to 35 sport utility vehicles at a Eugene car dealership in March 2001, according to the AP, here.
4. A Twin Falls, Idaho, track star who earned a sports scholarship from Boise State has lost both legs in an explosion in Iraq here.
5. A pro-Merry Christmas business in Kalispell, Mont., took a stand in the cultural wars — to the applause of hundreds of Flathead Valley residents here.
6. IMHO-NW: Bert Caldwell/Spokesman-Review (Comparing Spokane pay with other Washington counties), Bill Virgin/Seattle PI (Traditional phones near end of line), Ed Symkus/Inlander (Evolution of the Big Ape), Art Thiel/Seattle PI (Another past-his-prime M’s pickup), John Blanchette/Spokesman-Review (Zags don’t take Virginia lightly),
*Seattle Mariner trade talk heats up here.
*As many as 20 people may have been infected by a Moscow, Idaho, man who didn’t tell his sex partners that he was infected with AIDS here.
*Idaho cattle herds sent to slaughter after brucellosis infections here.