Outfielder Matt Lawton is shown running the bases as a Pittsburgh Pirate in spring training camp last year. Now, he's the latest signing by the Seattle Mariners. But he won't be with them on opening day no matter how great a spring he has because he'll be serving a suspension for steroid use at the end of last season here.
1. Freelancer Milt Priggee/Gig Harbor is enjoying the resurgence of the Seattle Seahawks as much as anyone in the NW this holiday season here.
2. Jim Junior Nice killed his three children with a combination of over-the-counter medication and rat poison, allege documents filed Thursday in 5th District Court, according to Terry Smith/Twin Falls News-Tribune, here.
3. Boise State fans are upset after hearing rumors that Coach Dan Hawkins, who will relinquish the reins of the Broncos to become the UColorado head coach, is recruiting some of the same players as BSU here.
4. A former Twin Falls, Idaho, track star who lost both legs in an explosion in Iraq received a surprise visit this week from President George Bush and First Lady Laura Bush here.
5. Montana is the only state that allows a double proxy wedding. That's why Francie Mercado, 25, wearing a white lace wedding gown at the University of Florida, and Jason Druding, 26, wearing Marine desert camouflage fatigues at a base in Djibouti, Africa, could get married thousands of miles away at Montana State University, according to Gail Schontzler of the Bozeman Chronicle, here.
6. IMHO-NW: John Levesque/Seattle PI (Compassion runs deep for Coach Dungy), The Columbian (Not in the Northwest), Bill Virgin/Seattle PI (Retailer's friend, if used wisely: the sale), Idaho Statesman (City Hall right to permit Christmas display), Seattle Times (How to have real bowl games).
*Albertsons Inc. is no longer for sale and will keep its corporate headquarters in Boise here.
*A former Spokane Lutheran youth minister has been jailed on sex charges here.
*2 weeks into Washington's smoking ban, some are fuming but few cited here.