The five Schrock children who were killed in a traffic accident Tuesday are shown in a family photo. They are, from left, Jerryl, 5; Carmen, 12; Carinna, 8; Jana, 10; and Craig, 2. See Item No. 1 (Photo courtesy of the Schrock family).
1. A pregnant mother of 5 young children killed in a horrible vehicle accident near Spokane is bolstered by her Mennonite faith while others try to find answers to the tragedy here. Meanwhile, the conditions of the drivers, including the woman’s husband, continues to improve here.
2. Political cartoonist David Horsey/PI looks at the lengths to which we’ll go to reform ourselves here.
3. An letter allegedly written by Edward Joseph Duncan Jr. sez the Groene family murder suspect had seen the light and was bringing 8-year-old Shasta Groene home when he was apprehended at a Denny’s restaurant in Coeur d’Alene, according to Dave Turner/Coeur d’Alene Press here.
4. It’s a long shot, but federal authorities could close the duck hunting season in response to the Avian bird flu threat here.
5. The Washington Supreme Court ruled today that a woman who raised a child from birth to age 6 while in a relationship with the girl’s biological mother can seek rights as a “de facto parent,” essentially creating a new class of parent in the state, according to the AP, here.
6. IMHO-NW: Doug Clark/Spokesman-Review (Bing Crosby doesn’t haunt hotel), Doug Floyd/Spokesman-Review (Wise to prepare for bird flu), Missoulian (Lower gas prices), Dan Popkey/Idaho Statesman (Odd couple keeps property tax reform alive), and Jim Moore/PI (Dogging it for Cougs, Dawgs).
*A Seattle fund-raiser for hurricane relief could mean that the Space Needle will be decked out in Washington State colors in time for the annual Apple Cup game against rival Washington this year here.
*A dot.com marketer believes little Santa, Idaho, could cash in by slightly changing its name here.
*A civilian Fort Lewis employee was charged Wednesday with extorting a funeral home owner for five years by agreeing to ship him the bodies of active-duty casualties only for a pricey, under-the-table fee here.
*2 Boise State doctoral students helped authorities in investigating a 3-year-old murder case find a body in the desert here.
Orbusmax provides the rest of the Northwest here.