Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire speaks at a rally for Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels Tuesday night in Seattle. A tax-revolt initiative peeling back a record $5.5 billion gas-tax hike in Washington state was defeated Election Night.
1. Don't look now, Seattle Mariners fan, but all-time M's winningest pitcher Jamie Moyer has filed for free agency here.
2. Cartoonist David Horsey/PI agrees that France has no immigration problem -- sorta -- here.
3. Tacoma cancels New Year's Eve First Night celebration for lack of money here (free subscription required).
4. Washington loses one of its four last Medal of Honor winners from WWII and a veteran profiled in Tom Brokaw's "Greatest Generation" here.
5. The clerk of a Missoulia adult book store foiled a robbers attempt by disarming him and then bashing him over the head with his own gun here.
6. IMHO-NW: Rebecca Nappi/Spokesman-Review (Speak up, Wal-Mart shoppers), Dennis Mansfield/Idaho Statesman (Idahoans provide relief aid), Dan Popkey/Idaho Statesman (Boise election results), Seth Lake/WSU Evergreen (Relationships: Reject jerks), and Columbian (Powerball winners? Really?).
Washington initiatives and Seattle/King County results here.
*Editor Mike McInally will end his 26-year stay in the Missoulian newsroom to become publisher of the Corvallis, Ore., newspaper here.
*Spokane votes to raise property taxes to relief City Hall financial crisis and avoid further cuts in police, fire and library services here.
*A man was at the Spokane airport after trying to pass security with a gun, knife, meth, marijuana and two water pipes here.
Orbusmax provides the rest of the Northwest here.