This AP/Yellowstone National Park photo shows a grizzly bear moving through the brush, June 7, 2005, in the park in Wyoming. Grizzly bears in and around Yellowstone National Park will be removed from the endangered species list after 30 years of federal protection, the Department of Interior announced earlier today here.
Related: Puget Sound orcas officially listed as endangered here.
1. Former Alabama football coach Mike Price has reached a second settlement with Time Inc. in his defamation lawsuit over a Sports Illustrated article about a night of drinking at a topless bar in Florida, according to the Seattle Times, here.
2. You’ve heard of coin tosses settling City Council seats in the case of ties. But what happens when there’s a three-way tie for two City Council seats, as happened in the small southern Idaho town of Dietrich last week? Well, you just get out another quarter and play “odd man out” here.
3. William Powell, 64, a longtime habitue of Missoula’s acting scene, was walking home from the cast party after the closing weekend of “Paint Your Wagon,” when he was struck and killed by a drunken driver here.
4. Two students from Lakeside High/Plummer, Idaho, have been arrested by Coeur d’Alene Indian Tribe authorities allegedly for plotting a school murder spree here.
5. North Idaho and Spokane residents with breathing problems who suffered from Idaho field-burning smoke over the past six years are eligible for cash compensation, under a settlement that won preliminary approval in court Monday, according to Betsy Russell/Spokesman-Review, here.
6. IMHO-NW: Doug Clark/Spokesman-Review (Retirement doesn’t slow cyclist), Robert L. Jamieson Jr./Seattle PI (Compassion fatigue or something uglier?), Bert Caldwell/Spokesman-Review (Even best EPA rates may be painful), Missoulian (Endless ANWR debate drains political energy), and Jim Moore/Seattle PI (WSU’s Derting dogged in senior year).
*James Doohan, the British Columbia born actor who played “Star Trek’s” Scotty and died in Richmond, Wash., in July, will become part of the firmament when his ashes are shot into outer space early next year here.
*A Montana robbery suspect is struck and killed by a police car responding to the crime here.
*2 Fort Lewis soldiers died on Veterans Day when their convoy was involved in a collision, making them the 64th and 65th Fort Lewis soldiers to be killed in Iraq, here.
Orbusmax provides the rest of the Northwest here.