As he puts on a flack vest, a police officer shouts evacuation instuctions to Tacoma Mall customers and red-shirted store employees Sunday in Tacoma. A gunman opened fire inside the busy shopping mall, wounding at least six people and taking three others hostage in a music store before he surrendered here and here/APhoto.
1. The polls are spelling trouble for Spokane Mayor Jim West as 60% of the respondents support the recall effort against him here. Meanwhile, Spokane residents remain ambivalent about West and the crusading Spokesman-Review, which broke the story, here.
2. Kenji Jojima, who will become the first Japanese catcher in Major League Baseball, has agreed to a three-year $16.5M contract with the Seattle Mariners here.
3. Mike Pannek/Spokane, a former Marine platoon commander and Geiger Corrections Center warden, succeeded with one of the toughest assignments in Iraq, bringing order to the infamous Abu Ghraib prison, here.
4. Gov. Chris Gregoire is urging Washingtonians to skip the trip over the Cascades and pass the cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, according to Amy Cannata, Spokesman-Review, here.
5. Nike corporate jet traveling from Portland area with three senior execs makes emergency landing here.
6. IMHO-NW: Doug Clark/Spokesman-Review (Secret Squirrel Society), Jim Moore/Seattle PI (UW-WSU postgame scuffle), Bert Caldwell/Spokesman-Review (Kaiser Aluminum nears nightmare's end), Art Thiel/Seattle PI (Seahawks lucky to be 5-0), and John Blanchette/Spokesman-Review (Gonzaga gaining notice).
*W.R. Grace execs want trial for ruining the health of Libby residents moved outside Montana here.
*American Nazi party fails to clean Salem, Ore., road, loses rights here.
*A man whose parents were buried in the wrong cemetery plot, then dug up and reburied in another plot without his knowledge, is seeking damages from the Dillon, Mont., here.
*University Place School District/Tacoma bans novel about gay teens here.
Orbusmax provides the rest of the Northwest here.