1. Steve Groene (pictured above with daughter Shasta) will be sharing the tragic story of the murders and kidnappings of his ex-wife and children, near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, on Oprah Winfrey’s TV show sometime in October. But he has insisted that the lone survivor, daughter Shasta, not appear here.
Related: Attorney for Groene family murder suspect Joseph Edward Duncan III wants to suppress statements the convicted sex offender allegedly made in jailhouse interviews here.
2. David Horsey/PI contends that one major force sprung into action almost immediately in the wake of Hurricane Katrina here.
3. BYU is the fittest university in the country, while Portland State University is one of the fattest, according to the latest Men’s Magazine, here.
4. Washington vigilante suspected in double murder involving Level 3 sex offenders has been “crying out for help all his life,” according to his brother, here.
Related: Issaquah wins a round in its attempt to bar convicted sex offenders from certain areas of town here.
5. A public official turning down a $10,000 raise because he didn’t believe he’d earned it yet? Yep. Put your hands together for hands together for Spokane Valley Fire Chief Mike Thompson here.
6. IMHO-NW: Danny Westneat/Seattle Times (Why are Boeing unionists striking), D.F. Oliveria/Spokesman-Review (West recall stumbling block), Frank McGovern/UI Argonaut (Disliking George Bush), Joel Connelly/PI (Seattle needs disaster planning), and Cara Lasley/Daily Evergreen (On Intelligent Design).
*$1,133 hospital bill for toenail work spawns class action lawsuit here (free subscription required).
*Sid Otton of Tumwater High could become Washington’s all-time winningest high school coach tonight here.
*Students from New Orleans arrive at the University of Idaho to begin classes, according to Kimberly Hirai/UI Argonaut here.
Orbusmax provides the rest of the Northwest here.