Bicyclists make their way up East Scenic Drive in The Dalles, Ore., earlier this week, during the Cycle Oregon race. Thousands of participants stayed overnight at Rooster Rock State Park visited Troutdale and nearby communities on their bicycle tour to the coast/APhoto.
1. Freelancer Milt Priggee isn’t buying Dubya’s promise of a thorough Katrina response investigation here.
2. Three of the six WSU women featured in Playboy’s “Girls of the PAC-10” will be in Pullman today signing autographs from 3 to 5 p.m., according to Emily Luty/The Daily Evergreen, here.
3. Natural gas prices are expected to rise across the Northwest but no where near as high as the 71% increase that should hit the Midwest, according to Gordy Holt/PI, here.
4. Two brothers from Omak, Wash., including one who was jolted by a Taser stun gun before Deputy Dawgs realized they were at the wrong address, are suing Okanogan County here.
5. One of the largest developers in Spokane has been slapped with a $1.5M penalty for violating the American Disabilities Act and he’s not griping, according to Alison Boggs, Spokesman-Review, here.
6. IMHO-NW: Dan Popkey/Idahoan (Dalai Lama in Idaho), John Blanchette/Spokesman-Review (3 trombone underdogs), Rebecca Nappi/Spokesman-Review (Baby Boomers are wienies), Missoulian (Rebuild Big Easy? Not so fast), and Dan Hammes/St. Maries Gazette Record (In defense of chewing tabacco).
*Gonzaga U students and faculty stage a speakout after a noose is found around the neck of a Native American statue on campus here.
*A 25-year-old woman held at gunpoint inside her home Tuesday wound up in jail after detectives found she’d lied about her name to hide from an arrest warrant, according to the Olympian, here.
*The state of Washington is driving giant bolts to hold rock slabs in place on Snoqualmie Pass after falling rocks crushed 3 women to death here.
*A high school golfer is recovering after being struck in the back of his head by lightning during a tournament in Anaconda, Mont., here.
Orbusmax provides the rest of the Northwest here.