Above: Another of Doug Fredericks’/Hayden terrific photographs of North Idaho’s Palouse country. Doug calls this one: “Broken Down.” You can find Doug’s Web site here.
1. Supreme Court chief justice nominee John Roberts is making U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy look bad, according to David Horsey/PI, here.
2. A Battle Ground, Wash., bookkeeper wonders if state education officials are capable of computing answers for the controversial Washington Assessment of Student Learning tests after spotting an error in a sample question and answer that they handed out here.
3. The 5 WSU coeds who posed for Playboy’s “Women of the PAC-10” issue drew a crowd at an autography signing in Pullman Thursday here.
4. An underemployed border collie who’d like a city job chasing geese from a Boise park has been turned down by City Hall here.
5. Killer writes about killing two pedophiles here.
*IMHO-NW: Floyd J. McKay/Seattle Times (North Dakota town’s land giveaway), G.George Ostrom/Bigfork Eagle (Another grizzly tale), Chris Peterson/Hungry Horse News (Penguin power), Susan Paynter/PI (Girl motivated by dad’s evil past), and Jim Moore/PI (Classless Grambling coach).
*Don’t look now, but Mother Nature dropped up to 24 inches of snow in the Glacier Park high country over the weekend (with terrific photo by Chris Peterson/Hungry Horse News) here.
*Washington Lottery officials are looking for the person who bought a $1.8M ticket from a North Spokane supermarket here.
*For every US troop killed in Iraq, seven are wounded, many severely; The Idaho Statesman looks at three of the wounded who face a long recovery here.
Orbusmax provides the rest of the Northwest here.