Nursing students and community members watch from the second floor balcony as Idaho Gov. Dirk Kempthorne gives a speech to open the new North Idaho College Health and Sciences building Thursday/SR photo by Jesse Tinsley.
1. NIC celebrates sciences building: Lawmakers’ bond program enables construction on all of state’s campuses/Susan Drumheller, Spokesman-Review — Definitely reason to celebrate even if state Rep. Dick Harwood, R-St. Maries, voted against it, and a Kootenai County rep. was bad-mouthing it during a recent tour. Nursing students for generations to come will thank the foresight of other area lawmakers for making it possible.
2. Ex-Met exec denies misleading auditors: Central figure in ‘rabbit’ deal that led to firm’s failure pleads not guilty/John Stucke, Spokesman-Review — The denials always come first. Then, the plea bargain. Meanwhile, the little people are left holding the empty bag.
3. Post Falls Landing gets under way: Project by river includes condos, marina, hotel, town square/Rasha Madkour, Spokesman-Review — Finally.
4. City planners have high expectations: Design recommendation would allow buildings to reach 160 feet downtown/Tom Greene, Coeur d’Alene Press — In case you were wondering how high can they go downtown.
5. Fred Meyer backs off Post Falls: Retailer puts 16-acre site on west side near Pleasant View up for sale/Brian Walker, Coeur d’Alene Press — This is like one of those old B movie Westerns. Seems Post Falls ain’t big enough for both Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer.