Chuck Thrap, an employee of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, holds up one of about 2,500 rainbow trout released into Deer Lake this week/Jed Conklin, Spokesman-Review
1. David Horsey/Seattle PI offers one possible out for Northwest ratepayers who were Enron’d here.
2. Cold Case: A 16-year-old victim of serial killer Wayne Nance whose body was found near Missoula, Mont., now has a name and her parents have peace here.
3. A teenage boy testified today that his friend showed him a knife and told him “that he was going to kill somebody” shortly before a playmate was beaten and stabbed to death. Pale and trembling on the witness stand, Jake Eakin told jurors that Evan Savoie hit 13-year-old Craig Sorger on the back of the head with a rock the size of basketball and then struck him repeatedly on Feb. 15, 2003 here.
4. The Intermountain Forest Association is thrilled that Idaho Gov. Dirk Kempthorne has been nominated as the next Secretary of the Interior but others aren’t, here.
5. A 26-year-old Moses Lake man drove off with a Spokane Valley Fire Department medic vehicle Thursday evening during an emergency call and led police on a 52-mile pursuit in which a Whitman County deputy sheriff’s car was smashed here.
6. IMHO-NW: Ted S. McGregor Jr./Inlander (Willful ignorance), Randy Stapilus/Ridenbaugh Press (Who owns the west, and why), Scitz/River Journal (The Cocalalla 500), Marty Fortier/Coeur d’Alene Press (Inter Seasonal Stress Syndrome), and Garrett Andrews/WSU Daily Evergreen (Dealing with WSU student sex offender).
Online Poll: 78.1% of 1564 respondents to a Seattle PI poll say they are done with their income taxes.
*Veep Dick Cheney is headed to Spokane for a Mike McGavick fund-raiser Monday here.
*A Boise Fire Department fire team rescued a woman from the Boise River this morning here.
*As part of a wave of demonstrations that has swept the country this month, more than 200 people in Spokane hit the streets to stand up for the rights of immigrants here.