Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi is carried off the field Jan. 14, 1968 after his team defeated the Oakland Raiders 33 to 14 in Super Bowl II, in Miami, Fla. Packers guard Jerry Kramer (64), provides one of the shoulders for Lombardi’s ride. See Item No. 2.
1. Milt Priggee/Puget Sound Business Journal captures our annual battle with April 15 here.
2. Jerry Kramer figured he had seen the last of his Super Bowl I ring, lost on a plane flight more than 20 years ago. But the former Idaho and Green Bay Packer offensive line great (and Sandpoint, Idaho, native) should be reunited with the keepsake soon after the ring surfaced on the Web site for Chicago-based Mastro Auctions, a sports memorabilia company here.
3. Steve Groene, father of two murder victims and a kidnap victim, was on hand in the Tri-Cities to help supporters of Initiative 921 collect signatures that would ask voters to make some sex crimes punishable by automatic life sentences here.
4. Lack of funding in the University of Idaho engineering department has dramatically reduced the number of students from India who are enrolled at the school here.
5. A 16-year-old student accused of plotting to shoot people at Rogers High School, then kill himself “to finally go out in a blaze of hatred and fury” was charged Monday with first-degree attempted assault here.
6. IMHO-NW: Doug Clark/Spokesman-Review (The cop who shot the bus), Bert Caldwell/Spokesman-Review (Finally, a reward for energy conservation), Robert L. Jamieson Jr./Seattle PI (Beaten fan raps on Snoop Dogg — in court), John Blanchette/Spokesman-Review (Stylishly cloaked in crimson), and Larry Stone/Seattle Times (White Sox not sitting on title).
Online Poll: 71.4% of 1478 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll say that school uniforms are a good idea.
*The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Allies group at Washington State handed out orange T-shirts in preparation for the National Day of Silence Wednesday here.
*A railroad repair crane and a carload of railroad ties plunged into Benewah Lake Monday afternoon after a trestle gave way here.
*Bonner County Sheriff Search and Rescue Inc. can continue using its name – even though it’s no longer affiliated with the Sheriff’s Department here.
*And the survey sez: Idaho gas prices among lowest in the nation here.