Heidi Dietrich, 27, works out on Green Lake in preparation for the National Masters Rowing championships on Green Lake in Seattle earlier today. Seattle has never quite seen the likes of the flotilla coming to town this week, estimated at approaching 2,000 rowers, with age-group classes ranging from 27 to 75 and up here. (AP Photo/Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Paul Jopseph Brown)
Hindu/Sagebrush: Beware of Breast Feed In at Yakima park here.
1. The suspect in the disappearance of Spokane resident James F. Ehrgott and in two subsequent homicides was arrested Monday in Southern California when two newspaper press operators foiled a carjacking here.
2. In the best tradition of Mother Teresa, warm-hearted columnist Doug Clark/Spokesman-Review finds another worthy cause to exploit — the political troubles of Spokane health director Kim Thorburn, who, he believes, is in bad need of a wardrobe makeover, here.
3. A Renton, Wash., man was burned over most of his body and his passenger ejected when their sport utility vehicle crashed, allegedly after it was involved in a hit-and-run accident here.
4. Some analysts have hinted that gasoline could reach $4 a gallon in the Pacific Northwest and California, as a result of the closure of the Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, oil field here.
5. A first-degree assault charge was upgraded to second-degree murder Monday against a Spokane foster father suspected of beating a 20-month-old boy who died Sunday. Avery E. Sam, 37, remained in jail in lieu of $500,000 bail here.
6. IMHO-NW: Idaho Statesman (Risch property tax relief has its price), Spokesman-Review (Judge Thorburn on judge performance), Joel Connelly/Seattle PI (McGavick victimized by poison politics), Bert Caldwell/Spokesman-Review (A reason for Spokane’s optimism), and Dave Boling/Tacoma News-Tribune (Freakish Seahawk Peterson, free subscription required).
Online Poll: 45.2% of 1432 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll say that Tour de France winner Floyd Landis cheated by increasing his testosterone levels.
*Richland, Wash., residents find racist fliers in front yards here (free subscription required).
*U.S. Sen. Max Baucus’ brave nephew remembered at Montana military funeral here.
*The Montana Grizzlies were picked third in the preseason Sports Network Division I-AA football poll here.
*Oregon 2-year-old killed when struck by a lawn mower here.