Friends Mario Escarcega, right, and Kayden Stoddart of Idaho Falls head off from their 13th Street neighborhood to spend some time in the water’s of the Snake River last week. (AP Photo/The Post Register, Randy Hayes)
Stapilus: Risch’s property tax relief plan starting to sink here.
1. The president’s been doing some heavy reading recently, but to what effect, wonders David Horsey/Seattle PI here.
2. The state of Washington is being sued for $15M for failing to adequately supervised Aryan Nations member Buford Furrow Jr., who wounded several children in a 1999 southern California shooting spree at a Jewish day care center here.
3. Just more than a year ago, Jamie Moyer was offered the opportunity to leave the last-place Mariners and go to the Houston Astros. Moyer turned it down. But when the Philadelphia Phillies came calling in the middle of last week, Moyer signed off on a trade, which was announced late Saturday. What changed here? Steve Kelley/Seattle Times: Seattle loses a bit of its magic here.
4. Residents in Granite Falls, Wash., are angry that People magazine has referred to their community as “Methville” in wake of the murders of a mother and her daughter during a hike here.
5. The new chief of Idaho’s overcrowded prison system wants to expand enough to house 1,700 more inmates, saying the state could save “tens of millions” of housing dollars by making prison domes out of synthetic material stretched over aluminum beams here.
6. IMHO-NW: Doug Clark/Spokesman-Review (Rolls Royce clarifies social hierarchy), Bob Salsbury/Unvearing Bobness of Being (Hey, U! Get Offa My Cloud, Man!) Rebecca Nappi/Spokesman-Review (Latte-a-day remark leaves bad taste), Frank Sennett/Spokesman-Review (Popular blogs find way to bookstore), and Kalispell Daily Inter Lake (Mismanaging Montana’s wolves).
Online Poll: 53% of 1158 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll oppose Gov. Jim Risch’s plans to cut property taxes by raising the sales tax here.
*Idaho City pastor beats long odds after suffering sudden-death heart failure here.
*More than a dozen women who had never climbed a mountain before reached the summit of Mount Rainier as part of their battle against addiction here.
*A baby orca that vanished from sight last week was found Sunday, ending fears that the calf, believed to be just 8 days old, had died here.