Kati Kim holds her daughter, seven-month old, Sabine Kim, in the back of a helicopter after they and her other daughter, Penelope, 4, were rescued from a remote area of southern Oregon, Monday. They were airlifted to Three Rivers Community Hospital in Grants Pass. James Kim, 35, Kati’s husband is still missing here. (AP Photo/Grants Pass Daily Courier)
1. With little opposition, the Twin Falls City Council lifted a historic ban on Sunday liquor sales on a 5-2 vote, citing both “inconsistency” in the state law and a need to adapt as a changing community here.
2. Two men with artificial legs are responsible for four bank robberies in two weeks, officials believe. “What are the chances of that?” Spokane police Sgt. Joe Peterson marveled after a second amputee was arrested Monday in Spokane Valley here.
3. An annual report released today says Idaho had one of the biggest declines in overall healthiness among all the states. Oregon and Washington suffered similar declines or worse here.
4. The American Civil Liberties Union plans to pump money into its Montana affiliate and four others to strengthen the ACLU’s presence “in places where there is no one else to turn to,” the executive director said Monday here.
5. A 16-year-old Sandpoint girl was trapped up to her neck in ice-cold water for a half-hour Monday morning as rescue workers freed her from her partially submerged car here.
6. IMHO-NW: John Canzano/Oregonian (Erickson talks to Arizona State), David Horsey/Seattle PI (Deadbeat dads), Idaho Statesman (Idaho superintendent’s bad decision), Mark Maher/New West Missoula (My Space, Missoula Style), and Brandon Macz/UI Argonaut (Hardcore holiday advice).
Online Poll: 76% of 1220 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll believe youths should be involved in community decisions.
*Idaho state Web site second best in nation here.
*The man convicted in the New Year’s Day road rage case that killed an Athol hairdresser will spend up to 25 years in prison here.
*Man admits trying to kill wolves with poisoned meatballs here.
*Memorial in Calif. for ‘Flying Elvis’ dead after Montana mishap here.