Bryan Kim (right) addresses Judge Richard White during his first appearance in court with John Rodgers Spokane County Public Defender at his side Thursday in Spokane, Washington. He is being held in the deaths of his parents, Richard and Terri Kim here/Dan Pelle, The Spokesman-Review.
Palousitics: WSU Campus Republicans wish you a Merry Christmas here.
1. A private rift between Sen. Larry Craig and Rep. Mike Simpson over a stalled Idaho wilderness bill is widening into a public quarrel, straining a long-held posture of unity among the state's all-Republican congressional delegation. Craig and Simpson wrote side-by-side opinion pieces in Thursday's Idaho Statesman newspaper outlining their disagreements over Simpson's bill to designate the Boulder-White Cloud mountains and surrounding forest as protected wilderness here.
2. The University of Washington Law School dean is facing an ethics complaint over his use of school time and computers for e-mail relating to his work as a State Farm Insurance board member here.
3. State Superintendent Marilyn Howard's distribution of merit bonuses to her employees this year may have raised a few eyebrows. But it's not an unusual practice and it is something the Idaho Legislature has even recommended, Idaho Controller Keith Johnson said here. Meanwhile, Gov. Risch has ordered state agency heads not to give out any more bonuses to their staffs here.
4. AARP Magazine has named American Indian advocate Elouise Cobell of Browning one of 10 people who make the world a better place. Cobell, 61, is a member of the Blackfeet Tribe and the lead plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit against the federal government over billions of dollars in lost royalty money here.
5. A 17-year-old Belgrade (Mont.) High School student died this week from an infection she contracted after having her wisdom teeth pulled, a family member said. Courtney Clark, a senior, died early Tuesday here.
6. IMHO-NW: Spokesman-Review (Congress isn't getting work done), David Horsey/Seattle PI (Exit strategy), G. George Ostrom/Bigfork (Mont.) Eagle (Madams and Mercedes), Frank McGovern/UI Argonaut (Euphemisation for the fatally deluded), Leaning Straight Up (James Brolin denounces 9/11), and Brandon Macz/UI Argonaut (Grand Theft Playstation).
Stapilus: Otter has potential to charm media's socks off here.
*Told to go home, dog walks from wilderness back to St. Mary, Mont., here.
*Boise State Broncos make cover of USA Today here.
*Eye On Boise: New Idaho House Speaker flexes muscle, Demos walk out here.
*Moscow, Idaho, pastor may withdraw please in California sex-scandal case here.