A male hooded Merganser lands on Fernan Lake, in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2006. (AP Photo/Coeur d’Alene Press, Jason Hunt)
2. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane has offered $45.7 million to settle sex abuse claims that ultimately drove the church into bankruptcy 14 months ago here.
3. Thieves dealt a blow to the mother of Carrie French, the Caldwell woman who died while serving in Iraq, when they stole from her yard a flag and a sign honoring French here.
4. With machines doing more of the potato harvest work, some parents and educators want to rethink the tradition of the “spud break” — an annual vacation in early fall that lets kids help bring in the state’s signature crop here.
5. Paul Allen chooses his words carefully. The owner of the Seattle Seahawks could not have been clearer Tuesday in expressing his desire to extend coach Mike Holmgren’s contract beyond the 2006 season, according to Mike Sando/Tacoma News Tribune (free subscription required), here.
6. IMHO-NW: John Blanchette/Spokesman-Review (12th Man frivolity), Gary Crooks/Spokesman-Review (Coretta Scott King’s legacy), Coeur d’Alene Press (Taxing Girl Scouts), Susan Paynter/Seattle PI (Sheehan went too far), and Art Thiel/Seattle PI (Super Bowl rush is on).
Online Poll: With 5 options available, a plurality of 35.4% of Olympian readers say the key for a Seattle Super Bowl win Sunday is stopping the Pittsburgh blitzes.
*UMontana Repubs rally to support Bush, troops here.
*Fearless behavior of Yellowstone wolves toward cars, people raises concerns that they’re being fed here.
*The call to ban bestiality gets Washington Senate hearing here.