A life-size statue of Marilyn Monroe, as seen in the movie "Seven Year Itch," sold for $30,000 Tuesday as part of the auction of property belonging to Marilyn's on Monroe, a defunct Spokane casino and restaurant. Here, ring man Gary Justice, right, encourages bids here. (Jesse Tinsley/Spokesman-Review)
Local editors, journalism professors and a former mayor will discuss The Spokesman-Review's investigation of former Mayor Jim West at a forum tonight sponsored by the Washington News Council here.
1. David Horsey/Seattle PI doodles how Pittsburgh's "12th Man" had a bigger impact on the Super Bowl than Seattle's famous "12th Man" here, and Milt Priggee/Skagit Valley Herald lets his thoughts be known re: US newspaper reluctance to publish the controversial Muhammad cartoons here.
2. The University of Idaho will introduce former UI/WSU/Wyoming/Miami/Seahawk/Oregon State/49er coach Dennis Erickson as its new football coach at a press conference this afternoon at 5:30 here.
3. Dave Smith Motors of North Idaho's Silver Valley, the World's largest car dealer, is suing three former female employees for defamation of character for filing harassment claims here.
4. Montanans have been turning out in droves to see "Brokeback Mountain," contrary to what conservative radio host Bill O'Reilly predicted before the movie hit Big Sky Country here.
5. Rushing leader Shaun Alexander is confident Seattle will offer a "fair deal" to sign him here.
6. IMHO-NW: D.F. Oliveria/Spokesman-Review (Science should guide wolf policy), Dan Popkey/Idaho Statesman (Interviewing Seymour Hersh), Kalispell (Mont.) Daily Inter Lake (Cartoon Jihad no laughing matter), Bruce Ramsey/Seattle Times (Defending cartoon censorship), and Art Thiel/Seattle PI (Critics lament shrug of Turin).
Online Poll: Given 4 options including "no opinion," a plurality of 30.7% of 833 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll said their children's homework was "too light."
*Washington state health-care subsidy to Wal*Mart workers put at $12M here.
*A Billings woman has been charged after her newborn was found dead in an LA trash bin here.
*A Washington state senator has introduced an assisted-suicide bill in Olympia here.