Rachael Lewis, an eighth grader at Sawtooth Middle School in Meridian, Idaho, stands next to a set of vending machines Thursday, Feb. 16, 2006, at the school. The Idaho House Education Committee is to hear a bill Friday, Feb. 24, 2006, that would control which foods show up in school vending machines here. (AP Photo/The Idaho Statesman, Chris Butler)
2. A Kirkland, Wash., man who died in a fall down a Bellevue mall elevator shaft was trying to crawl out of the stalled elevator when he lost his grip here.
3. In Spokane, a former federally protected witness was sentenced to 15 years in prison for selling a gun to another federal witness working for the FBI here.
4. A Washington mother was charged with two felonies in Montana for allegedly aiding and abetting her son’s escape from a van as he was on his way to begin serving a 40-year prison term here.
5. Illovene Potter, a Puyallup legend who died on Valentine’s Day at age 87, established so many firsts as a helicopter pilot that the Smithsonian has asked her son to send artifacts documenting here amazing career here. (Free Tacoma News-Tribune online subscription required.)
6. IMHO-NW: D.F. Oliveria/Spokesman-Review (Equal rights for all), Dan Popkey/Idaho Statesman (House Speaker targets lobby law), Rebecca Nappi/Spokesman-Review (Athletes need mettle before metal), Art Thiel/Seattle PI (No room for skate rivals to be pals), and Ron Judd/Seattle Times (Sasha Cohen hits big time).
Online Poll: A plurality of 42% of 1342 respondents to a Lewiston Tribune poll say they’ve only received one or two parking tickets in their lives.
*Washington has agreed to buy Qurans for a Spokane area prison after settling a suit with a prisoner here.
*Prosecutor Bill Douglas opposes any further delay in suspected killer Joseph Edward Duncan’s trial here.
*Seven bighorn sheep rams on Wild Horse Island on Flathead Lake will be killed next week, part of a Montana study into wildlife health and disease here.
Orbusmax Special: The latest action on WWII war hero Pappy Boyington’s dis by the University of Washington Student Senate here. (Plus, follow the Orbusmax link to the strong reaction from bloggers to Seattle PI’s editorial defending UW senators.