Seattle Seahawks' Shaun Alexander, right. carries the ball against the Tennessee Titans Pacman Jones in the second quarter of their NFL football game on Sunday, Dec. 18, 2005 in Nashville, Tenn. Alexander set an NFL record for touchdowns, led the league in rushing and ran away with The Associated Press Most Valuable Player award Thursday here.
1. Washington's two senators said they have no plans to return money from clients of disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff, while Idaho Sen. Larry Craig's staff is looking at campaign records before deciding what, if anything, to do with several contributions, according to Jim Camden, Spokesman-Review, here. (From Orbusmax, a list of recipients, including U.S. Sen. Patty Murray at No. 9, here.)
2. Seems David Horsey/PI hasn't heard that Washington Democrat Patty Murray is 9th on the list of Jack Abramoff's payoffs as the lobbyist appears to have been an equal opportunity sleaze here.
3. Randy Stapilus/Ridenbaugh Press of Boise has released the names of the Top 25 "influencers" -- or agents of change -- in Idaho, Washington and Oregon here.
4. Caldwell man arrested for altering lottery ticket here.
5. Oregon timber researchers hope to create wood sniffers that could track lumber from forest to front-room furniture the way bloodhounds track criminals _ by their scent here.
6. IMHO-NW: Bill Virgin/Seattle PI (Not every worker safe in US), Bert Caldwell/Spokesman-Review (Economic development from ground up), Nicole Brodeur/Seattle Times (Kurt Cobain's sad legacy), Doug Clark/Spokesman-Review (No home for bitterness here), and Nick Daschle/Columbian (WSU's Bennett will be missed when he hangs 'em up).
Online Poll: 65% of 4721 Billings Gazette respondents say that President Bush was right to order domestic spying by the NSA without a court order.
*A Tri-Cities woman, 38, died from a rare form of meningitis on New Year's Day here (free subscription required).
*Idaho, Washington cracking down on repeat sex offenders here.
*Study: Logging burned areas kills new trees, increases risk of forest fires here.