Dr. Brian Evans, chief veterinary officer for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, speaks during a press conference in Edmonton, Monday Jan. 23, 2006, announcing that BSE or bovine spongiform encephalopathy was found in an Alberta cow. No part of the approximately six-year-old animal entered the human or animal food systems here. (AP Photo/ Jason Scott, CP)
1. David Horsey/Seattle PI doodles about the perils of Super Bowl hysteria here.
2. Boise-based Albertsons Inc. announced this morning it has sold the company for $17.4 billion, or $26.29 a share, to a buyout group led by Minnesota-based SuperValu Inc. here.
3. Best sports columnists of the Northwest write about the Seahawks' victory over Carolina and the coming Super Bowl XL: Art Thiel/Seattle PI (Seattle's new history starts with Super Bowl), John Levesque/Seattle PI (Next stop, Detroit), Steve Kelley/Seattle Times (Realization of a dream), Dave Boling/Tacoma News-Tribune (Flawless game plan propels Hawks, free subscription required), and John Blanchette/Spokesman-Review (Seahawks defeat 30 years of history).
4. Raindrops quit falling after a record 35 days of measurable precipitation in the Washington state capital here.
5. Western Washington protesters overwhelm neo-Nazis here.
6. IMHO-NW: D.F. Oliveria/Spokesman-Review (Huckleberries: Of Hooters, forensics), James Veseley/Seattle Times (When Greenies go nuts), Brian Murphy/Idaho Statesman (Same ol' Jake the Snake), Idaho Statesman (Make kindergarten mandatory in Idaho), and Seattle Times (Full toolbox for sex offenders).
Online Poll: 93% responding to a Seattle PI poll disagreed with Microsoft's claim that the computer spam problem has been solved here.
*Former Seattle Mariners relief pitcher Shigetoshi Hasegawa is retiring here.
*Police identify the mother found dead in the garage with her boyfriend by her 8-year-old daughter here.
*Idaho author dates her way to "The Today Show" here.