Cody Fisher filled out the questionnaire at the St.Thomas soup kitchen but said that he is not living on the beach but staying with friends in Coeur d'Alene earlier this week. St. Vincent de Paul is leading the semi-annual count of homeless people in North Idaho. (Kathy Plonka/The Spokesman-Review)
1. David Horsey/PI provides another example of why he isn't on the White House Christmas card list here. And Milt Priggee/Skagit Valley Herald welcomes born-again Seahawk fans onto the bandwagon here.
2. "Drowned out by the incessant yammering about the Seahawks in the Super Bowl are those who opposed building Qwest Field with taxpayer subsidy, and others who are outraged by a region going gaga over a bunch of big boys in pads," writes Stuart Eskenazi/Seattle Times, here.
3. Washington Senate passes gay-rights bill here.
4. Montana's top environmental regulator is putting pressure on BNSF Railway to move forward with cleanup of polluted railroad yards, saying the state will put a lot less effort into future negotiations with the company here.
5. Philip Morris USA will stop supplying cigarettes to illegal Internet and mail order dealers as part of an agreement with attorneys general for the five Pacific Northwest states as well as 32 other states and territories here.
6. IMHO-NW: Danny Westneat/Seattle Times (Don't apologize for us -- in Spokane), Ted S. McGregor Jr./Inlander (Wal*Mart picks another fight), Missoulian (Rise, fall of Winchester rifles), John McGrath/Tacoma News-Tribune, free subscription required (No-name coach teaches M's to swagger), and Steve Kelley/Seattle Times (Neo-Hawk fans' football smarts suspect).
Online Poll: By 44% to 40%, 1,025 Seattle PI respondents say they haven't noticed more cigarette butts littering the sidewalks since Washington's statewide smoking ban took effect.
*Study: 6.5% of Idaho's school age children are unaccounted for -- more than double the national average -- here.
*Feds shoot 2 Idaho wolves after cattle killed here.
*Inland Northwest bars say business gone with the smoke here.