Drew Sutherland is reflected in his trombone while he plays with the Pocatello Brass at a recent Farmers’ Market in Pocatello, Idaho. (AP Photo/The Idaho State Journal, Doug Lindley)
Stapilus: Risch has boxed himself into a corner on property taxes here.
1. David Horsey/Seattle PI gives his view re: “a nation at war” here.
2. A body believed to be that of the suspect in a June 15 stabbing was found inside a burned-out home early this morning following an eight-hour standoff in northeast Coeur d’Alene here.
3. Raw sewage may have spewed into the Spokane River for days or weeks near the Downriver Golf Course after a blocked pipe caused a gushing overflow that went unnoticed by city crews here.
4. A group of lawmakers, civil liberty organizations and church groups has asked Montana’s highest court to stop executions in Montana until a court can determine if death by lethal injection tortures dying convicts here.
5. The Madison, Idaho, County Commission has delayed a decision on whether to opt out of a plan to distribute Plan B contraception, also called the morning-after pill, after a public hearing Monday here.
6. IMHO-NW: Rebecca Nappi/Spokesman-Review (Journalists, cops similar), Kalispell Daily Inter Lake (Fake Marine’s sentence correct), Joel Connelly/Seattle PI (Victoria, B.C., flushing away image), David Postman/Seattle PI (Cantwell, McGavick fund raising), and Dan Hammes/St. Maries Gazette-Record (Risch earns kudos for tax work).
Online Poll: 73.9% of 1041 respondents to a Seattle PI poll say they use a Windows XP operating system on their computer.
*Man pleads innocent in burning death of Spokane amputee here.
*Identity of dead child found by Pend Oreille River confirmed as missing boy here.
*Additional charges have been filed against two former Montana State University athletes arrested June 29 in the death of a Bozeman man here.