Jack Valenti, left, former chairman and CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc., Tom Brokaw, center, special correspondent for NBC News, and producer Sydney Pollack arrive earlier today at the annual Allen & Co. media conference in Sun Valley here. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
1. A few words scribbled during spare time in a dull class have won a College of Southern Idaho employee a dubious honor of having written the opening sentence to the worst of all possible novels here.
2. Washington and 33 other states plan to file a price-fixing lawsuit seeking "hundreds of millions of dollars" from Infineon Technologies AG, Hynix Semiconductor Inc. and five other computer memory-chip makers here.
3. Some of the priciest real estate in central Idaho just got cheaper. Sun Valley Resort's assessed value on Monday was lowered from $222 million to $139 million by Blaine County commissioners following an appeal by resort officials here.
4. Authorities in Phoenix, Arizona are confirming that they believe a former Post Falls woman killed last fall in Tempe may have been murdered by one of two serial killers terrorizing the Phoenix area here.
5. Capt. Kory Turnbow of the Idaho National Guard was nearly blown to bits in his first week in Iraq. The 29-year-old law student and Pullman resident is not alone in having had a close encounter with an improvised explosive device (IED). Every local soldier who spent 2005 in Iraq with the Idaho National Guard has a bomb story here.
6. IMHO-NW: Randy Stapilus/Ridenbaugh Press (On the Open Mike! tour), Hobe Jenkins/River Journal (An $8000 fish), Kalispell Daily Inter Lake (Organ donors and other heroes), Idaho Statesman (IACI schism partly about money), and Carrie Plucker/WSU Daily Evergreen ("Everyman" explores life, death).
Online Poll: A plurality of 47.8% of 2017 respondents to an Olympian poll say that the car tab initiative is the most important of the four initiatives likely to make the Washington ballot.
*A Demo will be appointed Monday to replace John Watts on the Idaho F&G commission here.
*Former Wal*Mart exec offers local merchants survival tips on how to survive new superstore here.
*A Moscow gardener has a plan for people who are tired of "zuking" their friends here.