A 13-month-old girl died Wednesday after suffering burns to 80 to 90 percent of her body in an early morning fire in Coeur d’Alene. Kylla Pahl was on a couch in the known drug house – alone except for a Rottweiler – when an unattended candle lit a dried floral arrangement on fire, according to Coeur d’Alene Police. Her mom and a man were in a car behind the home when the fire broke out around 6:30 a.m., police said. The girl, who neighbors described as a beautiful child, was born with methamphetamine in her system and raised in a troubled home, according to court records. Neighbor Teresa Alexander said she was in her basement apartment next door when she smelled smoke. She looked outside and saw smoke pouring from under the eaves of the small white house where Kylla lived and called 911. Alexander said Kylla’s mom, 26-year-old Megan Longoria, said the baby was inside.
For the rest of Taryn Brodwater’s story about Kylla’s death, click here.