Montana Grizzly Encounter trainer Casey Anderson uses a piece of orange flavored candy while coaxing a snarl from Brutus, a 700-pound, 4-year-old grizzly bear while filming a movie near White Sulphur Springs, Mont., Monday, June 12, 2006. The film, “Iron Ridge”, is being shot by first-time-director Stu Brumbaugh/Robin Loznak, AP Photo/Great Falls Tribune.
Stapilus: Blaine, Teton counties head list of heavy construction areas emerging in Northwest — Ada and Kootenai second tier here.
1. David Horsey/Seattle PI presents his version of “compassionate conservatism) here.
2. An overwhelming majority of Seattle residents would rather watch the Sonics leave the city than use tax money to renovate KeyArena, according to a telephone survey of registered voters here.
3. A federal judge has dismissed part of a criminal charge against W.R. Grace & Co. and some former top officials that alleged they knowingly endangered miners and area residents in the town of Libby, site of the company’s former vermiculite mine here.
4. State officials say a laptop computer stolen in an apparently random theft from a federal employee in Maryland on May 3 held personal information of 575,000 veterans living in Washington here.
5. Dane Spencer has defied overwhelming odds to still be alive today. The 28-year-old Boise native and member of the U.S. Ski Team will be the first to say he probably should have died after a horrific crash in a race last February at Big Mountain, Mont, here.
6. IMHO-NW: Claudio Beagarie/Idaho Statesman (Uncontrollable factors drive Mexicans north), Missoulian (Estate tax flies wide of target), Doug Clark/Spokesman-Review (Still swinging a sax), D. Parvaz/Seattle PI (Mass murderer answers some questions), and John Blanchette/Spokesman-Review (Spokane’s NCAA champion).
Online Poll: 67.4% of 1555 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll say that desecration of the U.S. flag should be prohibited.
*Watermelon smashes rear window of car in Post Falls here.
*One of two Idaho prisoners is still at large after escaping from a private Texas prison here.
*Wyoming woman finds strange man in her bed here.
*National Parks Service clarifies stand about releasing names of accident victims here.