Bob Perkins plays with his goat, Buddy, outside his Manhattan, Mont. home Tuesday, June 13, 2006. Perkins has had sheep or goat nibbling his grass for the past 20 years, but a recent complaint from a neighbor caused the Manhattan Town Council to decide Buddy has to go here/Erik Petersen, AP Photo/Bozeman Chronicle.
Roesler: A bad coupla weeks for Washington initiative pusher Tim Eyman here.
2. An independent science panel says it is time to end the unique captive breeding-and-rearing program designed to keep Redfish Lake’s endangered sockeye salmon from going extinct here.
3. A private prison in Texas is safe, Idaho’s Department of Correction said Tuesday after a string of incidents involving Idaho prisoners. But the American Civil Liberties Union said security and living conditions at the Newton County Correctional Center are unacceptable. The ACLU wants the department to move prisoners elsewhere here.
4. Congressman Mike Simpson had a simple explanation for sending congratulations and $2,000 to controversial Repub nominee Bill Sali, a bitter political foe, according to Betsy Russell/Eye On Boise. Simpson wants to keep a Repub majority in Congress here.
5. “Having become lightly acquainted with the religious fervor surrounding the Steelers in Pittsburgh — the P-I’s haz-mat unit just last week ended its months-long work detoxing my e-mail inbox from Super Bowl week — I can guess a little at the anxiety over Ben Roethlisberger’s accident. It’s first-and-goal for End of Days,” begins Art Thiel/Seattle PI in his column about the QB’s recent motorcycle accident here.
6. IMHO-NW: Rebecca Nappi/Spokesman-Review (5 things I learned about school), Missoulian (We the people — and guests), Dan Popkey/Idaho Statesman (Idaho committed to 911 service), Coeur d’Alene Press (Let’s agree to disagree — nicely), and Jerry Hitchcock/Coeur d’Alene Press (A million sports memories).
Online Poll: 57.1% of 701 respondents to a Seattle PI poll say they wouldn’t want to see a skate park in their neighborhood.
*Judge denies bail for Saudi from Boise who threatened to bomb plane here.
*Yellowstone geyser erupts for first time in 8 years here.
*Washington football coach convicted of vehicular assault to keep high school job here.