Crowds line the banks of the Snake River at Chestnut Beach in Clarkston, Wash., Tuesday, to cool off as a heat wave continues to bear down on the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley. Spokane and Coeur d’Alene experienced record temperatures yesterday here and so did Missoula here/Kyle Mills, AP Photo/Lewiston Tribune.
Eye On Boise: Gov. Dirk Kempthorne’s packing up his office for anticipated move to D.C. here.
1. David Horsey/Seattle PI sees a standoff coming on the US-Mexican border here.
2. A white construction worker is suing two Colville tribal corporations, alleging that he was harassed out of his job by racial slurs and abuse from Native American co-workers here.
3. A 66-year-old church organist has been charged with defrauding Washington state by collecting about $400,000 in workers’ compensation checks that were intended for her mother, who died 18 years ago here.
4. A suspicious Spokane Wal*Mart checker who questioned the use of a paper license to cash a $1,000 check has helped police bust an identity theft ring that could claim at least 750 victims here.
5. The decision is final — Boise will host the 2009 Special Olympics World Winter Games. The games will take place at Boise State University, Tamarack Resort, Qwest Arena, Bogus Basin and Idaho Ice World here.
6. IMHO-NW: Randy Stapilus/Ridenbaugh Press (Good advice for job recruiters), Dan Popkey/Idaho Statesman (Payback time in Meridian district), Kalispell Daily Inter Lake (Tackling illegal immigration), Joel Connelly/Seattle PI (What will they say about Gorton now?), and Brian Murphy/Idaho Statesman (Protect young pitchers’ arms).
Online Poll: 88% of 1014 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll say they know the words to “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
*Seahawks announce that Coach Mike Holmgren will stay another two years here.
*Idaho expects low turnout for the primary here.
*An Ada County (Boise) Little Leaguer strikes out 24 batters in 9 innings here.
*A woman appeared to have been randomly shot while driving her car in Liberty Lake on Monday night here.