Shawn Raecke/Idaho Statesman
John Wyman, 79, of Boise walks around the back of his car that he drove into Rockies Carhop Dinner off Fairview Avenue on Monday in Boise. "It sounded like a bomb going off, it was really scary," said Cassidy Wardle, 18, a waitress working inside the restaurant at the time of the crash. Story here.
1. According to Philanthropy Northwest's Northwest Giving Profile 2006, 69 percent of charitable dollars in Idaho go to education, versus 16 percent in Washington, 24 percent in Oregon and 23 percent nationally here.
2. Jim Junior Nice tore his family down the middle when he poisoned to death his three young children in December 2005. A fourth child, 21-month-old Ian, had drowned more than a year earlier. More than the fissure he created, Nice left his own parents, Jim and Claire, and his ex-wife, Leslie Olsen, with very little to hang on to. Now, the surviving mother wants Jim Junior's grave in Twin Falls moved here.
3. After holding off for more than a month, Ken Covert decided last week he had waited long enough to cash in his winning lottery ticket. On Friday, the Pocatello resident redeemed his Wild Card 2 ticket and claimed the $2.78 million prize from the Idaho Lottery here.
4. Online Poll: 60% of 638 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll say they probably won't watch the launch of the Endeavor space shuttle in which Idaho teacher Barbara Morgan finally will blast into space.
5. Idaho IMHO: Idaho Statesman (Morgan offers lesson in perseverance), Randy Stapilus/Ridenbaugh Press (First impressions & Bill Sali), Tom Henderson/Lewiston Tribune (Should innocent teacher teach?), Craig Staszkow/Moscow-Pullman Daily News (Proposed gun regs don't compute), and D.F. Oliveria/Huckleberries (Vanna White also turns heads).
6. Idaho Blogs: Adam Graham/Adam's Blog (Transgenderism: Playing let's pretend), Tom von Alten/Fort Boise (When is a Repub not a Repub?), Clayton Cramer's Blog (What? You're not pro-choice?), Julie Fanselow/Red State Rebels (Packed house greets Obama staffer), and Bubblehead/The Stupid Shall Be Punished (What makes Idaho famous?).