Former tug boat captain Forrest Schmeling is seen through the condensation on a window of the Florence Lee tug boat while docked at North Idaho Maritime in Coeur d’Alene on Wednesday. He retired on November 8 after working at the job since 1975. Story here. Slide show here.
1. Men’s Health ranks Spokane 11th nationally among the drunkest cities, based on statistics that include binge drinking, DUI arrests and fatal accidents involving intoxication/The Falls. More here.
2. U.S. Sen. Larry Craig’s bathroom sexcapades have been with us for some time now. Last night, Craig’s misadventure in the Minnesota airport restroom provided the plot line for “Boston Legal”/Hard 7. More here.
3. Online Poll: By 27% to 26%, a plurality of 453 respondents to a Lewiston Tribune poll believe Eastern Washington football coach Paul Wulff will be the next Washington State football coach over former Cougar and five other choices.
4. News Roundup: I-5 to reopen Friday at earliest/Seattle Times; 5 WSU frat men arrested for October fight/WSU Evergreen; Craig files 45 changes for global warming bill/Idaho Statesman; Rains dampen Schweitzer’s proposed opening/Bonner County Bee; and Pet owners says improperly euthanized/Coeur d’Alene Press.
5. Blogosphere: Joseph Pulitzer, then & now/Bay Views; It’s time to change cyberstalking law/Dogwalk Musings; Really, Hillary!/Morialekafa; Payette cabin rents frozen for year/Eye On Boise; and What’s in a letter/MountainGoat Report; and Mary Verner’s secretive group/NW Republican.
6. IMHO: Is Muhammad less deserving than U.S. flag/Jim Fisher, Lewiston Tribune; Celebrating the end of Prohibition/Dominick Bonny, WSU Evergreen; It’s time to resume something that’s right/John Blanchette, Spokesman-Review; Excessive spending is not right/U.S. Rep. Bill Sali, Idaho Statesman; and Supporters should re-examine Ron Paul’s record/Graham Dart, WSU Evergreen.
Orbusmax Special: S.L.U.T. T-shirt makers announce party for streetcar’s opening day here.