In this 2002 photo by Christopher Anderson/SR, the last four Washington State head football coaches (prior to Bill Doba) are shown (from left): Mike Price, Jim Sweeney, Dennis Erickson and Jim Walden. Walden, now a color commentator for WSU games, is getting attention for being the only one in the Harris Interactive Poll to vote Florida as No. 1 at the end of the regular season here.
1. Boise State Coach Chris Peterson is delighted with the No. 5 ranking of his 2006 football squad here. Also: *Boise State admissions inquiries jump 135% since Fiesta Bowl win here, and: Idaho will honor Broncos with parade Jan. 20 here.)
2. Idaho lawmakers still haven’t decided what to do with 26 Depression-era murals, including ones depicting the lynching of an American Indian, in the building slated to house the state Legislature in 2008 and 2009 here.
3. A judge has dismissed a lawsuit by a woman who climbed about 50 feet up a Bitterroot National Forest tree and stayed there for a month, protesting plans for the tree’s removal here.
4. A former U.S. Forest Service crew boss was cited for possession of marijuana hours after he appeared in federal court in Spokane on involuntary manslaughter charges in the deaths of four firefighters here.
5. The decision to reverse the firing of a detective who exposed himself at a coffee stand may hurt at least one member of the Spokane County Civil Service Commission’s chances for a second six-year term here. Hard 7 reacts here.
6. IMHO-NW: Pia K. Hansen/Spokesman-Review (Burglary shakes feeling of security), Dick Cvitanich/The River Journal (Shedding “family payroll”), Lee Flinn & Matt Bullard/Idaho Statesman (Risch did a lot for lands, water), David Morris/New West Boise (What Al Gore hasn’t told you about global warming), and Art Thiel/Seattle PI (Scale tipped against Hawks).
Online Poll: 54% of 283 respondents to Great Falls Tribune poll oppose U.S. involvement in Somalia.
*Eastern Washington congresswoman expecting baby here.
*Montana U.S. Sen. Max Baucus: I would not have voted for war here.
*Father: Media flights hindered rescue effort here.
*Hard-to-see comet flashes through Spokane sky at twilight here.
*Little League treasurer who stole $30,000 gets probation here.