Diane Lynn Gonzales, second from right, speaks at a news conference in Indio, Calif., regarding the Riverside County District Attorney’s office announcement that murder charges will be filed against Joseph Edward Duncan III in the 1997 kidnapping and slaying of her 10-year-old son Anthony Martinez, of Beaumont. Duncan has confessed to three children in California and Washington. See Item No. 1/AP Photo.
Dennis Mansfield: Right to Life of Idaho is dead; long live the Idaho pro-life movement here. (Hat Tip: Randy Stapilus)
1. Joseph Duncan has confessed to killing three children in Washington and California in 1996 and ‘97, according to federal court documents filed this morning. The documents also reveal that Shasta Groene of Coeur d’Alene saw Duncan abuse and murder her 9-year-old brother, Dylan, in 2005. Federal prosecutors today filed the notice of intent to seek the death penalty for Dylan’s murder here.
2. Two Spokane County sheriff’s deputies will face animal cruelty charges in connection with the Taser death of a black Angus calf last spring here.
3. In the language of Watergate, plumbers try to find leakers – and that’s what happened in Spokane last week as top City Hall officials wrangled over who leaked a $260,000 efficiency report to the newspaper here.
4. The Rev. Jesse Jackson’s remarks to a Boise State University audience Friday that black football players weren’t welcome in the 1950s and 1960s prompted a flurry of questioning by local historians here.
5. Former Boise Mayor Brent Coles’ felony record was wiped clean Monday, three years after he pleaded guilty in a City Hall travel and spending scandal that led to his resignation and the collapse of his administration here.
6. IMHO-NW: Doug Clark/Spokesman-Review (Columnists will stay the course), David Horsey/Seattle PI (State of the Union), Jimmy Blue/WSU Evergreen (U.S. attraction to “Idol” Shameful), Idaho Argonaut (Idaho should change “rape” definition), and Seattle Times (Plugging Internet sales-tax loophole).
Online Poll: 57% of 690 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll say they don’t have passports, which now are necessary for air travelers to enter Mexico and Canada, among other countries.
*Woman reports rape after WSU frat party here.
*Washington, Idaho, Montana among states in $8M settlement with Bayer Corp. here.