Miss Montana, Christie Hageman, fixes her hair in her hotel room as she gets ready for an evening event at the Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas on Tuesday/Jae C. Hong, Associated Press.
Doug Clark: Anti-gay protesters at national figure skate championships in Spokane whip up hatred -- toward themselves here.
1. Contrary to the interpretation of federal prosecutors, Seattle investigators maintain that statements Joseph Edward Duncan III made about the deaths of two little girls a decade ago do not constitute a confession, and they are not ready to seek charges here.
2. The Catholic Diocese of Spokane appears to be a week away from taking a significant, formal step to get out of bankruptcy and settle its clergy sex abuse scandal here.
3. Look around you, writes Shea Andersen/Boise Weekly, and they are everywhere: former newspaper and television reporters, refugees from the deadline-driven life, happily ensconced in Boise. A working journalist can reasonably expect to encounter a former member of the Fourth Estate on the phone, or in meetings, perhaps. But in Boise, you can't swing a laptop without hitting a former newsperson here.
4. The Federal Way School Board has lifted its two-week moratorium on the global-warming documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" and members of a Yakima high school after-school club await a decision from school officials on whether they can show the film here.
5. Tom Forbes/Palousitics raises questions about the unequal treatment given by WSU administrators and student press to two recent rallies on campus -- a young Demos rally in support of abortion and a young Repubs rally against illegal immigration here.
6. IMHO-NW: Ted S. McGregor Jr./Inlander (Barack star), Trish Gannon/River Journal (Not loaded properly), Tim Eyman/Spokesman-Review (Initiative bill targets free speech), Eric Devericks/Seattle Times (State of the union), and Ed Symkus/Inlander (Review: "Smoking Aces").
Online Poll: 87% of 855 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll oppose a California legislator's attempt to criminalize spanking children 4 years and younger.
*Rich Roesler/Eye On Olympia points out that 58 of the 62 House Democrats in the Washington Legislature are in leadership positions here.
*Naked man leads police to double murder here.
*Cigarette sales to Washington kids have fallen since Y2K here.
*12-year-old boy charged with attempted murder in attack on 5-year-old Nampa girl here.