AP Photo/The Olympian
In this image taken from video, Ross Kurtz, 14, examines a gray whale that washed ashore dead near Johnson Point in Olympia, Wash., Monday. Researchers planned to perform an autopsy on the five-ton, nearly 30-foot animal. The whale was too thin for its age, estimated at up to 2 years, said John Calambokidis, a research biologist for Olympia-based Cascadia Research here.
1. Best of the Political 'Toons: David Horsey/Seattle PI ("Mistake accomplished")
2. Best of the Online Polls: 49% of 560 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll say Yellowstone grizzlies should be delisted.
3. Best of Sports: WSU Cougars sign playmaking guard away from Air Force Academy here.
4. Best of NW Blogs: Tom Forbes/Palousitics (Co-opted out of a living wage), Betsy Russell/Eye On Boise (Montel Williams speaks out in Boise), and Karl/Leaning Straight Up (Washington court protects free speech).
5. Best of the News: Orbusmax Special: Oregon ranks among top spending states per capita here, Canoeists who pulled body to shore ticketed here, Bison hazed back into Yellowstone or face slaughter here, Crash injures Montana teens returning from prom here, and Texas warden exits after complaints by Idaho here.
6. IMHO-NW: Doug Clark/SR (Horn blower looks to tap into talent), Idaho Statesman (Grizzly recovery depends on us), UI Argonaut (Be safe, don't be paranoid), Tecla Markosky/UI Argonaut (Grammar error proves fatal), Frank Mieli/Kalispell Daily Inter Lake (Let's create safe haven for terrorists), and Bob Wire/New West Missoula (Perfect spring day ruined by dog).