Gary Lyon/AP Photo
In this photo provided by Gary Lyon, a grizzly bear looks over the carcass of a moose it killed Sunday, near Homer, Alaska. Lyon and his wife Terri watched as a nearly 500-pound grizzly killed an adult moose in their driveway here.
1. Best of the Political ‘Toons: David Horsey/Seattle PI (Local housing market).
2. Best of the Online Polls: 40% of 514 respondents to an Idaho Statesman poll say they plan to spend Mother’s Day with family this year. Fourteen percent say they plan to spend it alone.
3. Best of Sports: Police were called to the Seattle residence of Mariners pitcher Julio Mateo a week before he was charged with assaulting his wife in New York here. Geoff Baker’s Mariners’ blog here.
4. Best of the Blogs: Randy Stapilus (River Park Square newspaper audit), Dogwalk Musings (Poor little rich girl), Making Flippy Floppy (Glorious road trip to Libby, Montana), Leaning Straight Up (Fort Dix terror plot thwarted), and 29 Words Or Less (R. Kelly raps on 5 years later).
5. Best of the News: Orbusmax Special: 5 grocery workers fired for trying to stop shoplifters here, North Idaho students face expulsion for genitalia hazing here, Otter trade mission to Cuba cost $13,443 here, Another Spokane area hog-tied suspect in critical condition here, Climber praised for saving partner after fall kills UI student here, Court: Newspaper can see student punishment records here, and Wanted: Pikeminnow that preys on salmon, steelhead here.
6. IMHO-NW: Spokesman-Review (Automakers out of gas), Steve Crump/Twin Falls Times News (Michelangelo didn’t have to clean up), George Wuerthner/New West Bozeman (Montana an accomplice to grayling extinction), Chuck Pezeshki/Moscow-Pullman Daily News (WSU grads as turtles on fence posts), and Tim Trainor/St. Maries Gazette-Record (Best day of the year).