After each home game, the Seattle Mariners media relations staff issues a page of notes, statistical curiosities mostly – RBI streaks, a hitter who owns opponent pitching, season highs and the like. All as straightforward as junior high math. On Sunday, however, after the Mariners were swept in their home-opening series by the Cleveland Indians, the final note read: “With today’s loss, the Mariners are currently on a seven-game losing streak … this is the first time they have lost seven straight since Sept. 8-15, 2010.” Now, these guys are pros. They have plausible deniability. Just pointing out the facts, they can say. No editorial comment intended. But you know. You just know. The first time since Sept. 8-15?/John Blanchette, SR. More here.
- Business: Bonneville Power plan creates buzz in industry/Bert Caldwell
- Olympia: Let's kick the canned phrase, lose the chant/Jim Camden
- Spotlight: Coeur d'Alene Summer Theatre tickets go on sale/Jim Kershner
- Gardening: Time is now to plant lettuce, other root crops/Susan Mulvihill
- The Slice: We want our jerks commercial-grade/Paul Turner
- Boise: Austerity, abortion, school reforms mark 2011 Legislature/Betsy Russell
- Huckleberries: Strangers mark woman's effort to turn her life around/D.F. Oliveria
- Smart Bombs: Congress' curious budget recipe/Gary Crooks
- Outdoors: Researcher explain threats to wolverine in remote range/Rich Landers
Question: Anyone ready to panic yet re: the potential for the 2011 Mariners?