House Education Chairman Bob Nonini, R-Coeur d'Alene, has opened debate on SB 1108, noting that House Speaker Lawerence Denney and Gov. Butch Otter are listed as co-sponsors of the bill. He called it a “hallmark” piece of legislation, and said, “For too long school boards have been shackled to agreements made 10, 20, or even 30 years ago.” He said, “We don't bind future legislators and we shouldn't bind school board members”/Betsy Russell, SR. More here.
- Debate: "Children being held hostage"
- Republican speaks against bill: 'It bashes teachers'
- Cronin: "Flawed 17 ways from Sunday"
- Bateman: "Inability to remove poor teachers"
- Ringo: "For 38 years, I've been there"
- Nonini: "Negotiations have swung quite a bit to one side"
- Dems quiz Nonini about HB1108
Question: Are you as happy as Nonini is that Tom Luna's education 'reform' is about to become law?