Update: The House Rev & Tax Committee has voted 11-5 against introducing or allowing a full hearing on the bill to increase Idaho's cigarette tax.
Rep. Dick Harwood, R-St. Maries, said, “The smokers, I want to thank them for this building we're in,” noting that Idaho tapped cigarette tax proceeds to pay for the bonds to renovate the state Capitol. “It's kind of ironic that they can't smoke in it,” he said. “My mother smoked for 82 years,” and remained in good health, Harwood said. “Just because you smoke doesn't mean that you're gonna be ill.” Rep. Cliff Bayer, R-Boise, questioned whether the state would next move to taxing people who eat unhealthy food and risk heart disease/Betsy Russell, Eye On Boise. More here. And: How they voted here.
- Bill targeting cockfighting, animal torture clears Ag panel
- Thompson school crossing guard bill dies in committee
- House narrowly defeats tanning amendments
- Gov. Otter appoints 2nd woman to ITD board
- Senate passes firefighter worker comp bill
- Nonini private exchange resolution passes House
- House passes youth concussion bill 59-7
- Senate passes pro-IEA resolution
- Risch addresses both houses, blasts federal spending
- Nonini bill would continue teacher cuts to pay for Luna reforms
- If you don't want folks to smoke, ban the product
Question: Do you ever wonder what minimal level of IQ is necessary to be an Idaho legislator?